Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms

To: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 12:49:31 +0100
Cc: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:message-id:to:cc:subject:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=SPUxAU1tMiTYHbWynnzSLPEZEhthMvkQKr20SCuGpFg=; b=cnw9G0ojuag3z+lcax8SEANb0QzaCaZ44oh9vrcWE7mR50DYNLu/NGTO1+6yaIuAhr W2dxXB0UFLhUKdo9ydZteWyBLzmnP3y40DBh/SunLb4cN09xoU/vN/tgvWqju0q8uxMb m/AszGe+PHDkAx/H/TAVdKRxa6MWoL3tOY/NW2dJMSujxElhCTEF7x6fykQ2TuLjn/TR LcJW4sBCL51pycvtny9eKjVrbrjNMGPgoaoBDStXyFBjxawPGYCBi+1T5KMMNVgLx19s A3i7xH5IWvd9uWdyL6RRqKno6Z5m7TFQDBzqa9IrC43dB5R81JTNraoF7yy90t2P0pLW MwWw==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Paul,

If my similar amp exhibits ringing on the drains (which I monitor in
real time), it means an antenna mismatch or a dicky connection (PL
type plugs were the cause, cheap junk off Ebay, a change to branded N
types fixed that issue). So if the output transformers are the right
material and wound right, the snubber resistors and caps are correct,
and the gate driver wires are really short, and you are looking into a
decent dummy load, well, it's a mystery! You have put decoupling caps
on all the Vcc pins? If you have a nice PCB and don't want to make
new, and the IC's are socketed you could solder the decoupling caps
direct to the IC pins for a test. Or even if they aren't socketed I
guess :) Without them my amp suffered with RF getting back into stuff
and  "funny  things"  happened. You should also have a `scope about on
the PSU side of the choke.

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]