Re: LF: W1VD amp help

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 06:40:00 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1523184002; bh=JlM96kIT1werQ/sv8F7O/bpHJ59E9i4saF+HGCrQBms=; h=Received:Received:From:Subject:To:Content-Type:MIME-Version:Date: Message-ID; b=SLyOHb6+m5PyoxTlCO1WszmueUPUzNcydNkDFAlkKzGlF1kSD3XgpMUDDRp+FeQkg kG6HAOlVXb1EYeQx2w/4PYUWAGFkRQmephAG8jF+oLik/u6bvkzZzZvQIbXNEu0vcs 4rYnsmYeVyJY/6l+iiTGcLrRkzUwvQ6LFExWlXU2t5u8YjAUBnQJx+bQzCo2wD68Py dbXwNNjB8Tj3Xa2yw0jPiLZ4MFAiNYfKCGlAAVNoVNiZZhNaBGCkKi4DyHwbN4FgS3 V0pNZbeCTseX6jvfKrdRb2qTEx2YnzRG6D6NUe21fktJSKG8ZJ0AEVBsHAjr/C+J11 eBIbCOugcA4eQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Paul

In addition to Ward's comments ...

To be more consistent with the original design (to avoid the "I built it just like ... except" syndrome) move the driver board close to the FETs to shorten the gate twisted pairs. Resistors / diodes should be right at the gates.

HP3325A ... set frequency x2, square wave, amplitude 5 volts, dc offset 2.5 volts. Have used the HP3325A here for countless numbers of years.

51 ohm resistor is there to properly terminate the end of the coaxial cable connecting the HP3325A (or other exciter) to the amplifier.

On the gate waveforms, what's going on above the FET turn on / off voltage (several volts) is of little concern unless there's significant 'anomalous action'. Some rounding above the turn on voltage is normal.

On the drain waveforms, what's going on above zero volts on the waveform is of less concern than what the waveform is doing when at zero volts (FET conducting). During conduction (zero volts) the waveform should go to zero and stay there for the duration. During the non conduction period (voltage higher than zero) the peak of the ringing should be well below the FET breakdown voltage. Chris's waveforms look pretty normal.

The prototypes of the doubler and amplifier were all run with no shielding for years. In fact, even after building the packaged amplifier I continued to run the 'out in the open' prototypes rather than reconfigure the station.

Always start out on the dummy load. Test in stages. Test the driver into the FETs with the FET drain supply off. Verify the waveforms with a dual trace scope to see that there's a small 'dead zone' between the two phases. This prevents the possibility of cross conduction. Once the gate waveforms are confirmed to be correct, turn on the FET drain supply. Once the amplifier is verified to be working properly add the doubler.

Gotta run ... more later if necessary.

Jay W1VD