Re: LF: W1VD amp help

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 13:09:42 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=8KpAY9ZKaJ6dvyuItSWL3nk4FxFDj3Psp4kCF5aL/XQ=; b=sk1FDjtacKEutRInqkhKujIBNTDwTdgVTXk9LeF/AlQlr/SlAH76XrxeZmsIg27Y5C j5u6JRgZALh6F9vfEUwquMa5AF0zgCdWPhMM0WQa/Snzn7L6QzYnmXagqpShRWUWEoTY An1uwxOnDtHHV5rtZQHSy8w2Snh7Eq3OAwift/LxYPUcag7TPVMBpUBkvbo/58rwqWvY N00T49myQyT6Fpc7jgrbKHBcAhHqFy+m28hOrFUnKqQFWcAEnejXiksjd4AskYydExjy DR8c5L9KinfpDap1EBvul6dO/NW95JBrLyb8e0vTVzzWZBdnXBZ0+XyR4E6pIlqR16YD BVAw==
Sender: [email protected]
In my half-bridge 700 Watt design, http://www.g4jnt.com/137tx.pdf  I used a small inductor between the top and bottom FETs to absorb the energy from any short glitch when both devices are on.   In a transformer push-pull like that I'm not sure how you'd implement exactly that idea, but a small L in each drain may suffice.   Saves having to complicate the drive waveform with a deliberately induced dead zone.

Andy  G4JNT

On 8 April 2018 at 12:53, N1BUG <[email protected]> wrote:
Jay,

Thanks for the detailed response! See below, threaded in.

> HP3325A ... set frequency x2, square wave, amplitude 5 volts, dc
> offset 2.5 volts. Have used the HP3325A here for countless numbers
> of years.

Done, verified that it looks OK with scope. (Previously I had not
been testing with the DC offset!)

> Always start out on the dummy load.

I've reduced drain voltage to 13V so that I can do that. I have no
dummy load which can handle the next step up (25V). No one near me
does either.

> Test in stages. Test the driver
> into the FETs with the FET drain supply off. Verify the waveforms
> with a dual trace scope to see that there's a small 'dead zone'
> between the two phases.

There is a delay between one phase beginning to switch off and the
other phase beginning to switch on, but I am not sure I would quite
call it a 'dead zone'.

Sorry about the quality of images. Scope 5V/div.

Gate waveforms:

http://www.n1bug.com/gates1.jpg

With the traces overlaid and time stretched out so you can better
see the crossing between phases:

http://www.n1bug.com/gates2.jpg

It appears one has not fallen to zero by the time the other one is
coming up. Should it?

> Once the gate waveforms are confirmed to be correct,

I've paused testing at this point pending any comment on my gate
waveforms or request to repeat with different settings.

Paul