Re: LF: K3RWR LF EbNaut in CT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: K3RWR LF EbNaut in CT
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 18:01:07 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1521910868; bh=6b/DWjLhowCREz4W6m8CRgUWY6qe11WeDzzJLt56OJI=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=goA1gglJLZhyB75wkh+TrI0neWXqlXEThkdr8X8vmNaWUj37SDWO1UXr5vWO1fkOt W565YpcbAGl41va5iKvL+bC7S2PsPMkWxfCK1ZFDsbTdwnRoRVKqy6Pa7rWgEtqKdq l/4EBeSS/BM8Nc3ABQTMUKOxqwMwAEszRr8/iy4hsOS5bVflvtE+yjuZ0/6MzGS52e QhRvpr6RTvffQ8wp5FQFp4yCKOPD53oWZecdDycsF1xsw0YIUlbw66yoTZw6YIV/CG xomVRrH/jTNCDls/q7ywB8kRmP6avB9OxlRQ9s2t113DQgk7Qzy7a0x3W6ZkQKj3rm /VVrr1chJ7PMA==
Sender: [email protected]
Hm, let me try.
I'm not an expert on all rigs and software components which can do the job.
I try to repeat some basically things.
There is the way to use Linux and Windows for EbNaut generation and reception. Linux clearly offers more functions and performance but Windows is simply more common on the currently active RX and TX sites. So let me focus on Windows. VLF reception is easier regarding frequency stability because you just need to lock the soundcard to a source of absolute stability. The easiest method is to use a cheaply available GPS module. I'm using the old NEO-6M version here on almost any site (RX and TX) but i heared about modules of higher performance and functionality, such as the NEO-7M or 7N. Other may add their comments. For example IW4DXW ( i think) took a NEO-7N as a LO frequency generator, which will be necessary for LF reception, at least if you are one of those preferring to build their own RX/TX stuff.
I have no idea about HDSDR or commercial receivers.
SpecLab allows to export FFT data into small txt files which can be converted into wav files using tools by DF6NM. These wav files can be evaluated in the Windows version of Paul's EbNaut decoder. This is the way as many VLF/LF operators do it. A txt file has a size of e.g. 369kB, so you can easily generate a file per hour, for several weeks, and try to decode an announced message later. As long as the audio out of your LF converter is free from frequency offsets, drift and phase glitches, then SpecLab and your PC built-in soundcard can do the rest. So the investment is not dramatic.

If you don't trust the stability of your hardware, just make a test and run a carrier from an absolutely stable signal source and try to decode a '*' message in EbNaut.

The EbNaut decoder will need a wav file to search the message in. And for Windows i currently know only one method to generate these files (including the correct header in the correct format): SpecLab and Markus' tools. And SpecLab is a tool working together with soundcards or virtual audio cables of course. I use VAC and have no problem with SR glitches but i'm passing the ref signal through VAC as well, so SpecLab is the backend and will correct eventual glitches.

A lot of text already. I hope it was not do difficult and helped a bit...

73, Stefan