LF: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a toroidal wound

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a toroidal wound one?
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 12:00:03 +0000
Cc: [email protected]
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:message-id:to:cc:subject:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding; bh=q8ZOjrKxcVHduEQbwlY0oSMQSG7Wls3/va3mg4zo5Yw=; b=i27R5XwGgRzwXVBjofdWv6Sti9BY6NeYlJSQPVxlZoWIqvnvONSK/+deQuEbmMKwpl LMlhtRBFfy4b0Y/hDYVkU74jcBG9249yGaRU3MSDBKCUJpwo0dqjYsGuXpG6K1Su7Fs6 aI77qvOz8WnrMZIX+uiBgFpsdxUCkxCmFFlS+5jPLITAzrYLPCThotHqHlir5jUspmD1 +CZuU5M1Vt5sj7W3sPx9a0v2tpU9OYb68ZykoeZNgnxAM7t98L4RESbEi13JhtyA1uGn ktCzxxQ8l7few34bWElC7l6t6aa7r+QYCyk8gNldVZ8eAA1NWOc5D+ls+mUwqja9PFLj Sk0Q==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello  expert LF'ers!

The  centre  toroid  of  my  three  toroid  LPF heats up on the longer
transmissions  like  WSPR15.  I  have  added  a  small fan as a crutch
(thanks  N1BUG!) but I guess that's a crutch for inadequate hardware. I
was  wondering  whether  instead of buying a larger toroid, which seem
only  to  be  available  from the US at high cost, I could wind an air
cored  coil  of  similar  inductance. But I am unsure whether it would
have the required "Q" factor. Your opinions please? Thanks,

Also  I  am  wondering,  looking  at the Micrometals site, whether the
current -2 material can be bettered by using -3 material?

http://www.w1vd.com/LPF.pdf

and info on frequency range of these cores is at: http://toroids.info/

--
Best regards,
 Chris                          mailto:[email protected]