LF: Re: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a toroidal w

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a toroidal wound one?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 13:55:20 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Chris my take on this.....not having used this level of power at LF.....if the core is gettting hot it is not providing a particularly high Q !! My line is that LPF are best made with air cored inductors, the values required are not so high as to need ferrite. (see MRF and YXM filters) It does mean care in layout to avoid coupling between the stages. You may even be able to use a non-magnetic toroidal core! Current sensing transformers at Rugby GBR 16kHz (similar to the transformers in Jim Moritz scopematch) were wound on discs of Tufnol (SRBF)

One thought I dont know the answer to.......magnetisation is not a linear effect, if you are getting heating you are into the saturation area......what does his non-linearity do to the signal ! It may even compromise the effect your are trying to obtain ......actually generating harmonics??

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilson" <[email protected]>