LF: Re: RE: Re: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a to

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: RE: Re: Can an air cored LPF inductor have as high a "Q" as a toroidal wound one?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:01:27 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Clemens yes I realised that from later posts I should have realised materials 2 & 3 were iron dust. I doubt from the reports that it is getting to the kind of temperatures that would give non-linearity in that material.

However heat generated in the inductor indicates loss and reduced Q......and Chris was talking about Q levels. I think from previous posts he is using toroidal cores to reduce the coupling between the cores. Of course if it is IR loss in the wire then even air cored will not help. Litz would but previous tests by Dave Pick G3YXM about 15 years ago suggested that the difference in using Litz (ex Decca nav TX coils) was quite small at 136kHz.

It will be interesting to see which way he goes

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>