Re: LF: Do I need an attenuator on LF RX??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Do I need an attenuator on LF RX??
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:23:54 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
DCF39 and HGA22 are clearly evident of course, but I note there is something on 133 kHz that comes up in sync with those two. It's not DCF49 which is lower, around 129 kHz. I suspect either the receiver is overloaded, not enough front end filtering yet, or a combination of the two. It may be more of challenge to get the filtering tight enough in Europe where you have the strong signals from DCF49, HGA22, DFC39 and some very strong broadcast stations not much higher in frequency...

Regarding the noise "hump" in or around the 137 kHz band, could this be just the resonance of the transmitting antenna? I use a separate receiving antenna which is nearby (about 15 meters from the transmitting vertical). When the transmitting antenna is resonated on 137 kHz I see a very pronounced noise "hump" over a 2 to 3 kHz range. When the transmitting antenna is not resonated for LF, I do not see that and the noise floor is fairly constant over several tens of kHz (the passband of the front end filter).

73,
Paul