Re: LF: Do I need an attenuator on LF RX??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Do I need an attenuator on LF RX??
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:26:13 -0000
Cc: [email protected]
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ntlworld.com; s=meg.feb2017; t=1518452774; bh=VMZU2taI74OHuWJ4tBa6ILFG6vZB8umb/bvi8ZiY5gs=; h=From:To:Date:Subject:Reply-to:CC:In-reply-to:References; b=roc7u3RYDEmNaEnW5C+OD/Q9SLJMOio34wBQmrXFCcomP4y3uh5b/Yw5uM3DGzwVg +xcXDOT4KszSmdaVlxYorha2ZG3ihrSlLlSjRbpXKDYyDLJMLEOSoUgaGGgqVtxQ/r CYx7KLks3kzrZ4kHkLHV9ZxtF+Hxd2gel4zCw5iFfqI3Htbv9xl7pewcrc8jhCZktr eDGlXOVWuIsuBsDEnUl4V+aUYMkaJML23W1HS71Itst5d4Qp1nCfyrIvz3UsTMwY5w 5QV2yGJFTLbRNLR5wxQWwsU8IITqpS4p43bujPn1c4QtUj4ulnLNglRk8HgDdHthxi yHGx2sv0lk3Lg==
Sender: [email protected]
Chris,

It looks like you have a broadcast station where it shouldn't be (at
132.65kHz) and several other spurious stations in that area, so you
may well have unwanted signals within the 136kHz band, especially at
night (your recording seems to have been done during the middle of
the day). You might improve things by by-passing the pre-amp. It
would do no harm just by experimenting with an attenuator but why
attenuate and amplify at the same time unless the preamp also
provides another function such as matching? It seems the only
front-end selectivity on that receiver is a narrow bandpass so you
would really benefit from some additional wider filtering, eg an LPF
with a cut-off just below the LW BC band.

Mike, G3XDV