Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out

To: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 22:16:46 +0000
Cc: [email protected]
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:message-id:to:cc:subject:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=6qELyXPROeEdEby/Czy2B/d716C55KmLROB9jYIaYkg=; b=rm/jG4gEEtq61IoT1uagT7Sq+SITcM33IUz6CT+tIxT45hZ+1NlEsVTxis0WZdFIXh DrpEDuFJ0RcYxldlZdOEdcV/6VDHwbZlSzvVeHwOR3bZyuhiSkIqb5YaYJ7IqTH+8SF1 c1mEAJr5i2PY7roaEAtiTFF6/ckFceb2usJ8xdrfsFMC/zFK483Ax1WBVdUsiXjodRuh KWmBpngK1k36hYVP/kYYrZCPtsFXqITeGsrAYXSgz8afh9RTAynqS0iTU6faD3EZQteG ZeG/j+iibd1b1Xj0WYkV7OSIKVUH7DwT1yAfPzuDvsL8yAOl6PH88ME3aZPViR8r4gJ9 9nnQ==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Tobias and everyone else.

Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

I  managed  to change the divider again, but this is probably the last
time  as  a pad is lifting. I also put back a 22k resistor for the 10K
R16.  The  new  divider  one  didn't  have any output at all, save the
tiniest  bit  of  ripple:(     So  I  put  back the 10K and output was
intermittent  and  much  like  before.  But I noticed if i touched the
divider  on its plastic shell the the thing gave a much better output,
good  square waves, but they would either stop themselves, or if power
to  the board was removed then re-applied, it wouldn't start. The input
was   on  frequency  and  strong. But now I could sometimes just hover
a  finger  right  above  the divider chip and it appeared a capacitive
effect would start it.

When it did output clean square waves they too were on frequency.
There was a proper 90 degree phase shift. I then put in a 6.8k for R16
and it's better still. Dare I go lower, or is this telling me
something I am not hearing?I haven't changed the crystal yet. I don't
think the issue is now the oscillator itself, but driving the divider.
I am sure Andy is right that a Schmitt trigger buffer would be best,
but I didn't really want to start redesigning something I know others
have had running 24 hours a day with superb results.

I'll  upload the oscillator wave form at pin 3 of the divider as it is
now.

http://www.gatesgarth.com/newR17-to--pin3.jpg

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]