Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out

To: LineOne <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:17:31 +0000
Cc: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=nlObLdiFIm/JwqNS+vdjqdtE7MHI5cT3HSbI+GiRunk=; b=S0IKK9yXyarO6JDeOzdiicBSbTFM9Ezys2dQhfPlaV5ooSnULXaekoiktf+Azx/u5T WkN8UIJCHnNxdXzyum3Oo73mK359Mf2dKtjMXpE9C5OPgDlLeDVcZTA9KCVyTSZrR16R eOXIKM5LOuujWKxXNXoflX7l42vG6szwqIY/O8wyjP9jUOqoGdb6wvvZGgy1JCArwS1X yzzcfHRxn7z3Pridi45C/ECqdUidRFI6x9OqOKkyQnFn3OTJEK2UMAtsktHj8zd27zqq 2UgVF/dzLgzNctsL0UkiZPU0+TW+ifmSjJEJhfCESfjsETr2U3qhBUCO43IqVQ4Ees8i SsnQ==
References: <[email protected]> <1397698645.2553258.1516983835152.JavaMail.open-xchange@oxbe7.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net> <CAA8k23RYAbGQSBVNMyxdViOKpmpUnOg4a_Rk08Ej_nOqSU9BAw@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <CANi3vvvpMrphpyCnseuaPzuiY8DYUxLVabN0d9iFrVvPS=Ov+Q@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <CAA8k23TFWARx_3qTxvuT_kum1ML+PLHOTU+5S8Kn4t71guAYFg@mail.gmail.com>
Sender: [email protected]
I never documented the mods made to my Softrock [clone] to get it down to low frequencies, so took a look inside to see what I did.   I see I used an LM393 comparator and it took a few minutes to realise why I did that instead of a Schmitt biassed half way as suggested here.

I am deriving my LO from a DDS source, an AD9852, which only delivers about 2 V p-p.   This was not enough to reliably swing between the thresholds of a 74AC Schmitt which lie roughly at  1.5 and 3.5 Volts.   The LM393 has a much lower hysteresis of around 400mV so worked with lower input.   I wanted to get it down to 5kHz RF (20kHz LO input).

As you will be using the Q2 buffer, there should be no problem getting a 2.5V to 3V swing for hitting the Schmitt thesholds.

Andy  G4JNT