Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Softrock RX divider IC problem, unexpected frequency out
From: M0FMT <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:10:38 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=IwbixBtIcK8b7n6Mf6vq9+4VEw7cLyPwKt4+0K25HBM=; b=gOemszGcU158Te0bExUDsDcqgXdJb/mSkN3FDalsw0fU7jXfiQWtK+umIHx7ZRudNk Ha894QKj0Nmrtm5fArLu4+OF1PBCSrBwmPuESZGDe9Nl6GhE1oVD/Gq8zhsCu+fqLh4u 2Wc0gtsAY5zsF2aswTJmp29VE94L0yQxLykOm6z20h4mgUqCAUMHXXaCVxrTCDMecueK +WO69iYg2IgPMv0GSjYdy0BHQbAITDRsIMlhMFlw3EFILbdrgPG0YXOxXsgK3dztG8of XQZO8QMlCGLS03KFsr++IuLkU2J7ZsWZUr8ja86Vc6kuUCcvPJtn47jzr4glejBrco8S HmsQ==
Sender: [email protected]

Hi

Despite Andy Talbot’s (who I respect highly and feel unworthy making this comment) comment which I am sure will solve the issue. However my experience with several of these kits in the V6.2 format has never been an issue at 136khz.

This will not help other than give confidence that the Softrock Tayloe detector is a robust design. These kits in my experience are excellent. If you are getting frequency variation it will be the Xtal oscillator, nothing else can cause it, however I have never experienced it myself, the divider a dual flip flop correctly fitted will work reliably. The fact you are getting out of band signals (Strong BC) is probably because there is no LO to the multiplex chip it is just working as a nonlinear detector (a diode) being over loaded by the BC signal.

The important thing is to get the Oscillator working reliably ensure the buffer amp is delivering a TTL level to the connected flip/flop input, check with a scope. If all is well the problem is the flip/flop check it is getting the correct Vcc. If no divide by 4 at the input to the multiplex , check with scope,   then the flip/flop has a problem. My guess the chip is fine it is the quality of the fitting (no criticism intended it’s not easy) . If you have done all of the above then I would recommend you remover the flip/flop chip. If you have a spare new one then fit it after you have fastidiously cleaned the pad. Your output to the multiplex will be divide by 4 of the xtal frequency and the two LO feeds will be phase shifted by 90 degrees.

Good luck it will work fine but go through the steps above and confirm LO with a scope at each step.

73 petefmt