Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 23:37:38 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
The 10 char message was transmitted beginning on the 27th and 28th. On the 29th and today, the 30th, there was no transmission.
The safety function triggered again.
Yesterday as i remotely checked what happend, i saw just 70 mA instead of 300 mA. So i expected there is a fault on the coil and it was arcing.

Today i carefully inspected each of the 5 buckets and saw some small traces of partial discharges. Added loads of Kapton foil near the critical regions. Then i put the coil together again, but still 70 mA on the SpecLab antenna current plot. But the analog amperemeter near the PA showed > 320 mA! QUickly it became clear that the E field pickup probe near the antenna has dropped down during the strong storm last saturday! This also explains the sporadic interruptions during the 3 carrier experiment.

Now the probe is fixed again, the construction should be much more stable. The antenna current is recalibrated. The theoretical phase change should not be significant.
A test carrier is now running on 5170.005 Hz for an hour or so.

The 100 char message will be transmitted tomorrow 18 UTC for the 3rd time.

73, Stefan