Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:04:42 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

attached is the result of stacking three days at DL0AO (also appended to table below).

Indeed the daytime carrier was well received, with no indication of attenuation towards the afternoon. Daytime SNR was around 15 dB in 1.5 * 424 uHz, equivalent to -17 dBHz. Nighttime Eb/N0 was ~ 6 dB for 5.7 bits in 8.9 hours which is 6+7.5-45 = -31.5 dBHz, or 14.5 dB less SNR than during the day. On average, nocturnal noise was approximately 12 dB stronger, so we end up with a 2.5 dB stronger daytime signal (albeit this small difference is probably within uncertainties). Anyhow this doesn't look like a daytime 1.5 lambda minimum at all.

Now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%E2%80%93ionosphere_waveguide
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionosph%C3%A4rischer_Wellenleiter
left me confused. The article basically says that for small ranges the simple one-hop ray theory is adequate. But it also states that at VLF freequencies, the bottom of the ionosphere should act as a magnetic (i.e. high-impedance) wall, inducing a reflection with 180° phase shift. This is the opposite of what I had thought - shouldn't the conductivity from the free electrons rather resemble a metal-like electric boundary, like it undisputedly does at ELF frequencies? Reversing boundaries would swap minima and maxima, but in this case neither seems to fit our observation.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)