Re: LF: ebnaut 5170 - decode nr Moscow

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ebnaut 5170 - decode nr Moscow
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 22:54:34 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alex, Paul, VLF,

I found that the fascination risis with the square of the wavelength!

My congrats again to your ufb VLF RX and thank you for your effeorts. We are very successful.

I never expected that we can transfer messages on 5170 Hz over that path with such a rate. Now we have some important data: We can expect 6 dB in 23 uHz during an average quiet night. So now we can calculate how many days must be expected for a longer message, like we did on 6470 Hz. I would like to try a 12 character message soon. It takes just 2 weeks or so :-)

Paul, maybe you are interested in wav files for reprocessing. I attached the 23th and 20th...24th(weighted). The size is very small...

For the 23th i got an even better result with a time offset of 1754 seconds.

My ERP on 5170 Hz is 2 dB lower than on 6470 Hz. But the SNR we observe seems not to differ much from that on 6470 Hz. The opposite of what all the curves predict!!!!!! So what will happen arround 4 kHz???!!! Will we be able to send messages over that respectable distance? I bet! From 4 kHz it is not so far until we reach 2.97 kHz!! That's my dream for this season, 2 characters on 2.97 kHz over that path!

We were focused on that one graph showing VLF propagation as a function of the frequency, for different distances (and constant ERP!). But the y axis shows field strength and not SNR! What is when most of the noise comes from far away (> 4000 km), which is the case in winter on our path!? Then the noise will drop stronger than the signal? This first experiment seems to be a first sign for that assumption. So what happens on 4.47 kHz relative to 5.17 kHz? The ERP will drop by just 1.2 dB. But the noise may fall much stronger!! We will check that too :-) And on 2.97 kHz, relative to 5.17 kHz: Just 5 dB less ERP and maybe a much better noise reduction!

73, Stefan