Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: 300 mA on 5170 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:54:02 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
...it was a bit confusing last evening. 20 minutes before the start i thought that it may take 10 days or longer when using night transmissions. Your information below came to late, i did not check the emails during the last 15 minutes before t=0 :-) If we can expect 13 dB for a single character, we should be able to manage a 100 charcter decode after 4...5 nights. That's very fine. Actually i wanted to start transmissions for RC4HAA this weekend but now i started building a new VLF PA, since the one i'm using now has been quite on the limit at 700 mA antenna current on 8270 Hz. During that time we can pass that message through. So, now, we lost a night but never mind. The transmission starts as announced, just a day late. I would prefer 16K21A but you know there have been problems with SpecLab reading out the symbols in a 4s interval from a txt file containing > 10000 rows. I could split the file into two however. But that may be a task for the next time.

73, Stefan

PS: The calculator page does not allow to calculate 8K23A although it is available in ebnaut-tx.exe

Am 26.10.2017 19:41, schrieb Paul Nicholson:

> What is better, day or night?
> And what is the SNR difference on our path?

I've been going over the figures, referring carrier
and EbNaut signals to 1Hz BW for comparison.

Night is on average slightly better than day:

Combined H + (new) E:  day = -27.3 dB, night = -26.7 dB

> I would prefer the nights

Here too, so I can do experiments during the days.

--
Paul Nicholson