Re: VLF: Trying the impossible, once more - received by DL0AO and DF9RB

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Trying the impossible, once more - received by DL0AO and DF9RB
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 16:31:07 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan's single character transmission was received well by DL0AO and DF9RB - guess it's ok for everyone to share the decode result now. Note that the export-data from our 31.4 uHz FFTs are slightly shorter than the sequence, producing a little SNR loss. Here are the carrier-based Eb/N0 results:

DL0AO E-W-earthloop in Amberg:
 date       dB
 12th       9.4
 13th      12.1
 14th      12.8
 sum      16.0 (three days stacked with equal weighting)
 sum      16.3 (12th down-weighted by -4.2 dB)

DF9RB urban E-probe in Vilseck:
 date       dB
 12th       3.0
 13th       2.3
 14th     (no data)
 sum      4.0  (two days with equal weighting)

The big downer for myself was that nothing at all was received here in Nuremberg. Even after stacking three days (26.7 hours total, equivalent to 10.5 uHz) and undoing the now-known PSK sequence, not the slightest peak appeared in the noise, implying a combined Eb/N0 of less than -7.5 dB. This means that at 6.47 kHz, my E-field antenna with local railway QRM is at least 24 dB worse than the DL0AO earth loop. Pretty hopeless it seems...

Next I will try to look at the nighttime 16 char transmissions in DL0AO data.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)