Re: VLF: EbNaut on 2 frequencies

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: EbNaut on 2 frequencies
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:55:55 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul,
yes, quite the opposite!
The decode attempts for Stefan's nighttime 16-character transmission showed that the signal was very weak. An optimally weighted average of six evenings (Oct 10 to 15, 8.9 hours each) did not produce a decode. Using the known message content (the pop song) to reconstruct the carrier, a small peak with 8.4 dB SNR in 5.2 uHz became visible, corresponding to -11.2 dB Eb/N0 for 16 times 5.7 bits.

Comparing this result to +16.3 dB Eb/N0 from stacking three days of the 1-character message, we find that the SNR at night was around
 16.3 + 11.2 + 3 - 12 = 18.5 dB
weaker than during the day. The spectrograms show that the noise level (after blanking) on the EW-antenna was approximately 10 dB higher at night, indicating that the signal must have been around 8.5 dB weaker.

As a crude first Approximation to the model, we might look only at groundwave and single-hop skywave. For 230 km range, the geometrical path difference would be 63.3 km (1.37 lambda) for 90 km reflection height (night), and 40.3 km (0.87 lambda) for 70 km (day). Assuming that the ionosphere is acting like a conducting surface, a vertically polarized field would be bounced with zero  phase shift (this may seem counterintuitive at first, as horizontal electric fields at normal incidence would be flipped. But the vertical electric and horizontal magnetic components are not). Using equal amplitudes for both waves, the phasing would then predict a 7 dB weaker signal at night.

BTW I think that at our frequencies, ground wave losses are still negligible up to a few 100 km range for all realistic types of ground, and a simple 1/r calculation for monopole-over-perfect-groundplane will be quite adequate.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)