Re: LF: Re[2]: VLF: New carrier on 6470.005 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re[2]: VLF: New carrier on 6470.005 Hz
From: Jacek Lipkowski <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:08:58 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: [email protected]
Paul receives anything (as usual). But the strange thing is that i can receive the 6470Hz signal with a mediocre setup (suboptimal antenna, qrm location in the center of Warsaw) at 900km, while Eddie (at 750km distance) and especially Markus (at 180km) can't receive.

The only other explanation (apart from lower qrm levels) might be the software used. I use Paul's vlfrx-tools, while Eddie and Markus use Spectrum Lab. The obvious differences are:

- gps timing (edge in speclab vs "stretched pulse" magic in vlfrx-tools). not sure what impact this may have

- noise blanker. most speclab setups use the noiseblanker on the whole spectrum (haven't seen your setup, but this is what most example configrations i've seen do), while the vlfrx-tools/ebnaut examples use the noiseblanker only on a 3kHz bandwidth segment centered around the rx frequency (this could be done with speclab easily too). also the speclab noiseblanker algorithm might be a bit different

Maybe try vlfrx-tools and see if there is any difference? And if so, tweak speclab to do the same (especially the filtering/noiseblanker should be simple)

VY 73

Jacek / SQ5BPF