Re: LF: Happy Easter MF LF VLF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Happy Easter MF LF VLF
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:24:07 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris,

Here in DL we have cheap access to large PVC tubes, e.g. https://www.stabilo-sanitaer.de/kg-rohr-dn-250-1000-mm-kgem/a-438342/ Just an example.
I think the situation is not much different in the UK.
PVC is not really the best material. Once arcing has occured on the surface there is a conducting track which will short cut any HV arrangement. Anyway, i have good experience with it and i'm using it some time now (right in this moment! :-) ) on VLF. You need to keep the coil dry anyway and i really would recommend the use of Kapton tape directly on the PVC surface where the winding should be wound. It is also recommended to do some basic calculations before starting to wind:

What is the capacity of the antenna? (Try to increase the C and height of the wire as much as possible. Worth to put some effort in there!)
What is the needed inductance then?
What is the maximum voltage the antenna will hold? (It sould be at least 20 kV!)
Which antenna current can i expect at this voltage level?
Which wire diameter do i need so that my coil can permanently carry this current.? Which coil length and diameter do i need to manage the voltage per turn? (Keep length/diameter < 2, use a diameter as high as possible/practicable) (Which power do i need to produce that antenna current? (Depends on the coil and ground losses)).
Which wire length do i need?
What is the distance to Paul Nicholson? :-)

Oh yes, it would be nice to have a signal from the UK -> DL on VLF, it has always been the other way so far!

Keep us informed, show images and so on :-)

73, Stefan