Re: LF: Wilkinson combiners

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Wilkinson combiners
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 22:03:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Chris, MMmm well is is and it isnt :-)) the classic Wikinson I know has two quarter wave sections of (I think) 1.5*Zo transmission line with a 2*Zo resistor across. Of course a quarter wave of coax at 136 or 475kHz is not practical. So the way round this is to increase the "lumped inductance" of the coax with ferrite loading (dropping the velocity factor considerably). The result is a higher impedance in the coax, and the impedance at the common end becomes greater than 50ohms so the transformer is necessary to bring the terminal impedance back to 50 ohms again. (I am not completely happy with my explanation because the previous delay-line coax I have played with Zo=1kohm had the ferrite under the braid).This is an interesting design, but unlike the pure "lumped circuit" design you were using it does not need large input capacitors, which Markus indicates may be affecting the tune of the individual PAs. The filter provide isolation I dont think the pure sine-wave is that important. After all your Wilkinson inputs are Pi-section low-pass filters, and they are causing the problem we think.The filter format is more important, "T" which is inductor input. Of course the "lumped component" line.....the Pi format could be directly replaced with a T format. It would (I think) require two 82uH coils in series (not coupled) with one capacitor at the junction, rather than a separate "T" LP-filter (without doing the calculation I am not sure of the cap value it may be half what you are currently using on the Pi-section). I think this might meet Markus's criterion.

Transmission line Wilkinson combiners are used as module combiners on most of the cellular base station PAs but at these frequencies the transmission line is strip-line.

As Andy when we mentioned this today, at LF you can really just use a transformer as the old Decca PA decks do.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>