LF: Re: Wilkinson combiners

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Wilkinson combiners
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:24:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Chris, the air-cored coils will be less lossy than those with ferrite. I dont think you need worry about lead lengths at these frequencies.(strays are minimal compared with 80uH and 14nF) BUT the coils must not couple together, hence ideally the axes should be at right angles (obviously toroids are easier in this case) It is tempting to build like the circuit but that allows the coils to couple together. Also you MUST feed the ports in phase, and phase error between the amplifiers will mean power lost in the resistor. The 100R resistor should take no power unless one amp dies. They are normally rated at half the output power of one amplifier.

Are you sure the Power supply will support supplying two amplifiers without sagging if not the outputs may not look like 50ohms......I am not sure what the effect will be.

If you go to toroids you should use "iron dust" not ferrite in my opinion Steve may disagree :-)) The inductance is not so high as to require high permiability ferrite.(you might almost be able to get 80uH on an insulating Tufnol former.)

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilson" <[email protected]>