Re: LF: Paint buckets as coil forms

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Paint buckets as coil forms
From: VIGILANT Luis Fernández <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:14:21 +0000
Accept-language: es-ES, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all and thank you for the feedback

Yes Lawrence. That Beatles hit is good for the job. But to keep it long may be
end it with some Turkish dervish spinning around :-)))

Thank you for the pictures and details Markus. It is very clear now which is
the way to go. And Pauls amazing software to simulate
the coil. There is always something to discover in his web site :-O
Will follow your steps, winding from top to bottom

About Stefan questions:

There are just 205pF at the moment. Have not made any further improvements but
there are few options to explore
I do already noticed how important is to get  a high antenna capacity. The hard
way ..... but noted ! ;-)

Thick cables for the topload are a problem. Finally the fiberglass pole
supporting all the weight was not originally designed
for that purpose, so the end section is a small whip and flexes a lot

For the goal of a real QSO, I hope you mean QRSS-xx ..... and not hairy chest
CW. May be the goal should be to get the WAC on 36Km band
(were WAC states for Worked All Coils ) ;-)

I'll show a picture of the buckets as soon as I get them. Looks that this are
not as conical as Markus buckets. But they are designed to
be kept in piles when not filled. Now I know there must be some space between
them and also air flow for cooling

For the receiver I think a loop like the last one you installed in the forest
is a nice option. So I can keep the MiniWhip for LF/MF and run the
loop to the soundcard and SpectrumLab. It is in the "to do" list ..... but that
is crowded. I run the hobby in a multi band - multi mode - way
And it is hard to keep all the porjects going on simultaneously

Have a nice weekend. Antenna is down here, due to storms. And probably some
rain !! Finally :-)

73 de Luis
EA5DOM