Re: LF: Paint buckets as coil forms

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Paint buckets as coil forms
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 07:35:07 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Luis,

stacking buckets into one another helps to increase the inductance because the coil becomes shorter for a given number of turns. Compared to a single layer solenoid, the advantage is thus significantly less wire length and lower resistance. It is also easy to adjust the inductance over a wide range using variable spacing. The disadvantage is limited power capability due to less effective heat removal from inner layers, as well as high radial voltage gradients (especially around the return wires between the layers, connecting the top of one section to the bottom of the next). With my coil, I can now safely run up to 0.4 A into my 270 pF antenna.

The coil is made from seven standard polypropylene household buckets, each one carrying 480 turns of 0.4mm wire. The spacing is adjusted by Lego blocks at the rims of the bucket

To wind the coil sections, I made a primitive jig with a rotatable dinner-table serving plate on the floor and an old windshield-wiper moter above:
Winding was done from top to bottom (thin end first), over some straps of two-sided sticky tape. After an initial slow learning phase, I aquired some routine in laying the turns neatly side by side, and making the whole coil ended up taking about eight hours alltogether.

Paul has modeled the coil using his LCnetgen software, which was able to predict the fundamental as well stray capacitances and higher-order resonances up to several 100 kHz.

Luis, good luck with your build, we hope to see you on Dreamer's band soon!

73, Markus (DF6NM)