LF: OT: ACS-712 | The modern world!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: OT: ACS-712 | The modern world!
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 18:05:19 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

Just want to share that for the homebrewers what i recently found:

The ACS712: http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Current-Sensor-ICs/Zero-To-Fifty-Amp-Integrated-Conductor-Sensor-ICs/ACS712.aspx

It is an isolated current sensor running at 5V DC. The current range is available in 5A, 20A and 30A. It isolates about 2 kV and has an analog output. In operation it consumes only 10 mA and can be powered off if not in use. It's power on response time for accurate measurements is very short so the 10 mA consumption can be reduced even more.

This is most useful for homebrewers, for example if you want to measure/monitor the current consumption of a 12V VLF/LF/MF PA whithout wasting I*200mV into a shunt resistor. When using e.g. an Arduino to drive a LCD, it is then easily possible to display the electrical parameters of your PA, like voltage, current, power. Not sure if it works up to LF/MF but if so, you can also measure output power, SWR and efficiency.

I'm going to use it in my remote site to monitor the battery current, so i can calculate/monitor/display: voltage [V], current [A], (daily) charge [Ah], power [W] and (daily) energy [Wh]...

BTW these ICs are available on Amazon or ebay on ready to use pcbs, so don't worry about the SOIC-8 housing if you don't like SMDs :-)
http://www.amazon.de/EasyWordMall-sensor-ACS712-Current-Arduino/dp/B00WMJNJRS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453395732&sr=8-3&keywords=acs712

73, Stefan