Re: LF: More EbNaut 137.777

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: More EbNaut 137.777
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:38:05 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Wolf,

at our distance, DCF39 is on the order of 3 mV/m. Assuming a best-case daytime band noise of ~0.05 uV/m/sqrtHz, a sensitive antenna could thus produce around 95 dB SNR in 1 Hz bandwidth.

But you asked for a weaker one... There's an unid carrier on 137689.45 Hz which is yellowish here and fading, so maybe from Italy or north Mediterranean area. It has always been visible on different QRSS-segment grabbers,  but for some reason became significantly stronger since Nov 6th (currently ~2 uV/m here).

Then of course there are Loran sideband lines. Lessay and Sylt are on multiples of 50000/6731 and 50000/7499 but not strong (some tens of uW at 137 kHz). Here they are only sometimes visible in QRSS-60 bins, but very reliable frequency markers in a sub-milliHz spectrum. Slonim is stronger at night and is on a convenient raster of 50000/8000 = 6.25 Hz multiples.
Joe's PSK-modulated signal is spread over 0.5 Hz, and was thus hardly or not at all visible in any of my spectrograms. On the other hand, Domenico's transmissions were very conspicuous because he embedded his EbNaut sequences into relatively long segments of pure carrier.

High noise from an indoor loop might be caused by pickup from ADSL lines. The uplink spectrum sent by nearby modems starts above 138 kHz but there's usually spectral leakage into hour band. Though it is supposed to be a pure differential signal, the telephone lines are hardly perfectly symmetric, and the common-mode component radiates significant magnetic fields. Unlike the characteristic SMPS interference, ADSL is not so easy to identify because it usually sounds like plain white noise. You can use a portable AM-radio with a ferrite-loopstick, tune it to any clear channel above 140 kHz, and try to sniff around for telephone cables in the house or outdoors underground.

All the best,
Markus