Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: Re: EbNaut test transmission

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: Re: EbNaut test transmission
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:47:15 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=TbzPF99Y4JVYK/4wj47NwttR6mIBYyeZ6yYq9tgYdyQ=; b=m/MVZWcb0ov1L1haT2jaX8ok8Abz3pkNQmJqJhlyEELbERSCnAhGkf97BoPHqrqESe bAXO0myssNtU76eN4GgG5ATmxHLS4xp1q5zG8pVKcmdViNII+zz4J2RuMZ3BRtYmvPCc LRV0mCUjFH4wSyM0FD3VtC+krChlgWl8KHX66lkJybr0P098YiehOhK7QHHs2WL2Da4m d8wwNsX1Tdwas8QQqCvAmpeu0aIvkRrceGKUDyoE/tIajPG9OpLxPX7ioiOaxV8/tkiC td75BJhT8PxHOqVwZ9KznvEUSXMQOyygldB585xw+G8KqyOML16cdZw0Tp4JNLDpNLaL ZOgA==
Sender: [email protected]
Ok, I'll leave it running overnight.   After  the rain stopped,  antenna resistance fell and power output rose closer to 300 Watts of RF  into the lower Rant, so EIRP is about +20dBm now.

To reiterate for any new readers:

   Frequency 137780.000  +/- 0.2mHz
   Coding 8K19A
   Symbol period  0.5s   (2 symbols / sec)   BPSK with 10ms Gaussian  shaped phase transition
   Message length is 9 characters consisting of a callsign and the abbreviated name of a well-known cockatiel

PC time is synchronised using rsNTP,  set for periodic updates which it appears to do every 30 minutes.  So far it hasn't made a correction of more than 20ms (ignoring the first one back at 1611z)

The DOCXO (almost a TrOCXO)  appears to have stayed well within 1ppb of its correct frequency all afternoon / evening.   I check by comparing a divided down 1PPS signal against GPS,  looking to see how many microseconds the two respective edges drift apart over a few hours.   If it moves by more than that corresponding to 2 PPB   (7.2us per hour)  a slight tweak to the frequency control pot gets it back again.

For really serious work, the Caesium tube could be turned on, but that requires about 60 to 90 minutes for warm up to reach stable operation.    Something only worth doing for long duration tests at lower rates.

The last part of the message comes from this chap, who's ghost still haunts my shack ...   http://www.g4jnt.com/basil.htm

Andy  G4JNT