Re: LF: Ramped BPSK

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ramped BPSK
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 19:27:19 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=cIUQQeFtbei6JWQQX+PzGtzIp5VtVfvYpFTlavIVI8g=; b=h8FTEUfA1mwh1WKlemsJ2rxbCCUPic0jN2kRI6zMd3QJxKrRjWzy/PrttCJOGNl7AA 8cC2Sh+BzJKwlMuGHWcEfUDq0OhsAcO6LfrWcS141aP5OfeUG9Y/LfYd28XTy8vYR+tp v20FDszu/qg5L/GPC8mCHxInFYxMEZEWuVmCASZetmYfUn0zWDA3fOe54jtt1iOZpyHZ iS6cUEzvxmyvVqmavJsg2O2XXHoGyxRMJI6WJpMzawXBlfJ6hie/mOR/rnx0nkg0/i+Y e1tqHcDMWl9NlXkvmSy4GeT+keo7bkBXP687vJjTyoSdAvA3lBtPpz1GsNNwiIuTLt8q jPSw==
Sender: [email protected]
I quite deliberately send the phase transitions in opposite direction to prevent a continuous rotation, meaning a net frequency shift.   When going from '0' to '1' the programmed phase is set to 0x2000 - the value it would have been if going from '1' to '0'  (0x2000 beingbthe value needed for 180 degree phase shift in the 14 bit register of the AD9852)

My rotary encoder / LCD system on the deliberately shows the hex code sent to the DDS for precisely that reason.  But in a 48 bit frequency register that is a bit OTT, as 48 bits give a resolution better than the current world standard for time / frequency precision, and the maths used for setting 0.01Hz steps  allow a rather worse few parts in 10^-9

Andy  G4JNT

On 15 November 2015 at 13:30, Markus Vester <[email protected]> wrote:
>> the humiliation of being a significant part of a mHz off QRG,

;-)   The upside is that such offsets are perfectly deterministic. Knowing your clocking scheme, and assuming that your controller always rounds to the next-lower frequency word, we find that 137477 is low at -629 uHz low, and 137777 only  -91 uHz, apparently matching observations. If you had chosen nearest integer rounding, 137477 would have been somewhat closer at +244 uHz ;-)

In the context of using PSK / Wolf modes with nonlinear amplifiers, DL4YHF had long ago included a continuous phase ramp option in SpecLab's digimode modulator. My conceptual problem is that I never know which way to swing around - at each transition one has to make an arbitrary decision between a low or high frequency spike...

All the best,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:47 PM

Hi Andy,

I was about to solder a dpdt relay across a transformer until I saw your
posting.  The DDS here is the 9851 and the 40 bits are loaded serially.
If bits 35-39 are changed from 00000 to 00010 the phase will change by
180 degrees and so the soldering iron can be switched off?

An AD9852 would spare me the humiliation of being a significant
part of a mHz off QRG, but these chips seem hard to get.  Markus was
right about the resolution. The DDS is clocked at 10 MHz with the
x6 multiplier. The output is then divided by 16.  The resolution is just
under 1 mHz and so the frequency error depends on the output frequency.

73 Joe VO1NA