Re: Re[2]: LF: Where to measure antenna current?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: LF: Where to measure antenna current?
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:15:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
> Thanks  John,  yes it does help, much appreciated, but what I am still
> unsure  of  is  if  my  Scopematch,  that  shows  voltage  and current
> waveforms,  is  also,  on  the  current  waveform,  displaying antenna
> current? Does it not "do the same job" as a current meter?

Your scope match measures the current in the feeder. This is not the
same as that in the antenna which may be a different impedance -
which is why you need a matching circuit (eg transformer). You can
measure the current at the (relatively) 'cold' end of the loading
coil where it meets the matching unit, so there's no need to deal
with the very high volts on the antenna wire itself. You can also
measure it in the earth lead, but I would not rely on earth current
whilst you still appear to have too much stray RF (see my earlier
posting).

A current meter is easy to build. You don't even need to calbrate it
in the short term as you are unlikely to go anywhere near the legal
max ERP..

73 de Mike, G3XDV