Re: LF: Where to measure antenna current?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Where to measure antenna current?
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:07:44 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris,

About RCDs tripped by RF : That's an interesting subject, even though I never experienced such a problem myself (no surprise since I mostly run QRP on any band).

After discovering that the name RCD is also officially used here in DL (we formerly just called them Fehlerstrom-Schutzschalter, but that's another story), I read a bit on the subject and learned that there are indeed types designed to trip on 'higher frequency' components, and on very short pulses ! These types of RCDs shall react on frequency components up to 1 kHz. With typical tripping currents of 50 mA (or even less), they may even get 'critical' at a few hundred kHz (with an 'error current' of a few Amperes). The german Wikipedia article contains a bit more info about those 'Type A' and 'Type B' RCDs than the english article, so I quote ...

From
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehlerstrom-Schutzschalter#Typen_nach_Art_des_Fehlerstroms :

Die zusätzliche Empfindlichkeit wird durch spezielle Magnetwerkstoffe für die eingesetzten Ringbandkerne und Resonanzschaltungen zur Beeinflussung des Frequenzgangs erreicht.
<<

Shortened, in english:
The additional sensitivity is achieved by special magnetic materials for the toroid core, and resonant circuits (!!) to trim the frequency response.

Maybe you are already "close to resonance" of the frequency-trimming circuit, or even though the RF flows as a common-mode signal through the core, it causes strange (non-linear) effects in the RCD's current transformer.

If you have a couple of 'monster' clamp-on ferrites (such as used for thick coaxial cables), you can attach them close to the RCD to reduce the problem, and (even more important) improve the counterpoise (RF ground) near the antenna to prevent those RF currents entering the house (or at least stay away from the RCD).

All the best,
   Wolf  DL4YHF .