Re: LF: Coherent BPSK on LF using EbNaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Coherent BPSK on LF using EbNaut
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:07:21 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=XpqajllFFSAELr1BLqeFD/rVHpZ4mw/Ea8DyOMWLaek=; b=ggtBhJH6jAP2J7cgXVOlxz7hVtIKJXPNwoY7kYOMYWTOUR8HdRqHYR83xnqsgydvf8 QJjE12nP+V/NxXNe70egKFF7g0JusyTJcbm0gvCNpjitU4yALmBqk8Axwyh7v8wfPA27 z4KYHjekZGuilIBuMWSgHc83rIz0t7812/n+IWD3pe203/wd2ppbttcilcEsbVmZprO+ RhCcHmn+PRMxjl1UE0H7uFimTPxI3OySSOo29O6iw1VNodYtDbLovlkO5LOgjuTUg3L4 A2/hN2jys+FS21E4VsmdPC1aCXEvcfkd0ivD1kJJihJC+eGTMB+9Tz5S6dc3kFpN/iwq uwcA==
Sender: [email protected]
I know when to give up a poor job!

I built a nice dual 100Hz LPF and coherent 12 bit digitiser sampling at 800Hz.  Formed the results into packets to send to a PC, Wrote some software for the PC that read the data and plotted a vectorscope, phase, amplitude etc.   Was almost about to build in an FFT
It all worked very well with a baseband input for testing

I got a Finningley Dongle QSD receiver (very similar to the Softrock) and modified that for LF input with a 500kHz LPF and removed the caps to allow a DC coupled output.   Fed my 2.5V reference derived from the A/D converter reference back to that as its 2.5V centre rail so everything was centred around a common reference

But I've been having all manner of problems with the DC offset changing and although it can be made to work - sort of, results are messey.  The DC offset even changes with input termination impedance

So much so I've lost patience - especially as I had a sudden realisation.......

Having two SDR-IQ receivers I'm prepared to hack about with one of them. Although they have an option for an external clock input, I've never tested it.  So inserted the external clock input socket, disabled its own XO and got that working.  Discovered the clock input can happily be 64MHz so long as you tell the software what it is, or 66MHz, or values near there.   Unfortunately 60MHz doesn't work, and 70MHz is not allowed, so a simple direct multiplication from a 10MHz reference isn't possible

However, a simple PLL locked at 65MHz or any integer 1 or 2MHz multiple between say 62 - 69MHz should do.   That will give a coherent locked receiver, and  the software already is geared up for SDR-IQ interfacing.

Andy  G4JNT