Re: LF: First MF TA since a longer time

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: First MF TA since a longer time
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:36:22 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John, many thanks to you guys for receiving and reporting! After nil TA during the night before, I was pleasantly surprised to find the distant decodes from Stefan and myself this morning.

Apart from spatial variations and the uncertainties due to variable local noise,  there was a clear overall  pattern common to all participating stations - excellent on Thursday night, mediocre on Friday, a bit better again on Saturday. I'm wondering whether that was mostly due to systematic variations of ionospheric attenuation, or QRN levels from stateside storm fronts?

BTW Stefan and I have recently looked in some detail at the daytime MF noise background, both in Stefan's garden and here in suburban Nuernberg. Unexpectedly, the noise-equivalent fieldstrength seems to be higher on 475 kHz than on 137 kHz, and perhaps an order of magnitude higher than what was mentioned for semi-rural areas in older literature. We suspect that a predominant part of the noise may actually be due to a large number of ADSL connections, radiating by common mode currents on slightly unbalanced underground telephone lines.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)