Re[2]: LF: Protecting a MOSFET driver chip from MOSFET failure?

To: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Subject: Re[2]: LF: Protecting a MOSFET driver chip from MOSFET failure?
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 15:24:46 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Andy,

Monday, August 10, 2015

> Forgot to mention, although I hope it is more than self-evident to
> readers here, the diode is orientated so it points 'upwards';
> allowing a positive drive voltage to appear on the gate and clamping the
> negative  to ground.

> Andy  G4JNT

> On 10 August 2015 at 13:31, Andy Talbot <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes there is.  Or , are: several.

> Don't drive the MOSFET directly from the IC.  Instead use a
> capacitor and DC restorer circuit.  That guards against both  the
> driver staying high permanently if drive is removed, and also
> against IC damage if the FET fails

> Capacitor (typically 100nF for 137/475kHz) from IC output to gate
> Diode like IN914 , 1N4148 etc from gate to ground.  Shunt the diode
> with a resistor of a few kohms to stop it floating

> The capacitor decouples the chip output at DC.  The diode clamps
> the waveform at the cap output / gate so it's most negative
> excursion is forced to sit near enough at ground.

> Or use transformer coupling, as in my QRO 137kHz transmitter.
> http://www.g4jnt.com/137tx.pdf

> Andy  G4JNT

Thanks  for  the  replies  gentlemen!  Would  I need to make any other
circuit  changes  to  capacitively  couple  the  gates? With the gates
individually driven from separate 6R8 resistors in the G3YXM circuit, do I
leave  those resistors in? Or replace them with the caps and the diode
/ resistor shunts? Thanks Andy.

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]