Re: LF: 476.181 kHz from indoor loop

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 476.181 kHz from indoor loop
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:47:55 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Markus,

Thanks. This is helpful for many people trying to improve their RX equipment. A QRPP beacon!

Don't we have a nice hobby?!! :-)

73!
Stefan

PS: Tomorrow ordering parts for a stereo MF RX!

Am 24.06.2015 21:07, schrieb Markus Vester:
Hi Mauro,

this is a single turn loop, around 3.5 m wide and 3 m high, now consisting of the braid of a piece of RG-216 coax cable. Required capacitance for 475 kHz is 7.1 nF, made from five 33nF FKP capacitors from the junk box, plus a couple of styroflex for fine tuning. It's fed through a small ferrite toroid, 32 turns primary, 4 secondary. Loop resistance at MF is about 0.57 ohm (Q~83), presumably largely affected by losses from the nearfield environment (reinforced walls, house wiring, etc). Using 35 W RF the loop current is 7.8 A. Some pics of the former LF loop tests (32 A, 250 uW) are at http://df6nm.bplaced.net/LF/Indoor_Loop/ .

The purpose of this experiment is mainly to be able to provide a signal for receiver testing, which (unlike my Marconi) can be left on air during unfavourable weather. But it's really inefficient: An old ENI broadband linear amplifier converts 140 W DC into 35 W of RF, of which only ~ 2 mW are radiated.

Yes it works also for WSPR - a couple of nights ago I did get spotted by DK7FC, F59706 and SP5XSB. During the daytime the range would be much shorter, and the signal is definitely too weak for a decode in Heidelberg.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)