Re: LF: RE: Summer Solstice Test report

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Summer Solstice Test report
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:06:08 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
We also live in the wrong place , propagation seems to be better in the south , most marine 500 sets only run 100/200 watts on 500k , the emergency sets round 50 watts

Standard Ae , marine set up has the classic 40/60 ft vertical section and 120 ft top , feed point is 80 ft above sea level , the hull is steel , evolved 'ideal' Ae 1000 to 2000 miles range expected norm

Sea water is the big thing , last 500k dx emergency was from south to north pacific , and that was after the 500 band had been removed from service , apparently the ship still had the radio room , it was broken into and as a last chance , managed to raise some one on 500 - usa I think

100 miles of land makes a big difference , I can work in GI/EI no problem , as can G3KEV work in to EU from the east coast , I need about 250/300 watts to decode OP4 via the tween web sdr in the day , that's 350 miles , about 50 over sea , conversely 50 watts pep ssb is 5/9 into Belfast

One of the problems associated with the wspr decode , is strong carriers in the pass band , which raise the minimum s/n decode level , you can see that when a strong local station runs up , the spots in its locality [75 mile radius] , higher power levels have larger ranges .. 'we on 500 had the advantage of minimal activity , so DX decodes where more achievable back then , wspr was designed for HF , where high level ground wave signals are not encountered at range .

G,