Re: LF: MF CW now!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MF CW now!
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:58:42 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Graham, LF

I'm using the +I and -I inputs that were connected to the R820 tuner chip before.

The 1:4 matching transformer is not my own idea, I just made my transformer a bit beefier than the design I borrowed from. It had a FT37-43 core that provided a minimum frequency of 1500 kHz at 50 ohms system impedance with the given number of turns.

RF transformer rule of thumb: XL at min frequency = 4 x system impedance.

Various "sources" on the web claim that the AD input impedance is highly undefined, or at least not specified. However the article I borrowed the 1:4 XFRM idea from claimed it had some merits without going deeper on the subject.

I can not find any "mirrors" below 14.4 MHz, but above that hell breaks loose... so I added a simple PI LPF at around 15 MHz with the main intention to make sure no strong VHF-signals make it to the AD-chip.

You can see at least 2.4 MHz chunks of spectrum although there are settings above that. The higher settings above 2.4 MHz don't produce good results with my setup, signals get choppy or I get temporary freezes. Maybe a USB-system limitation? If I go below 1 MHz strange things also start to happen and mirrors appear. Running the standard 2.4 MHz seems to be the best option for me.

You can probably make a dual-purpose device from a stick that has the R820 tuner that connects to the AD using only +I and -I since the +Q and -Q inputs are then free to use as the direct sampling input to the AD. I wanted to try this but my eyes and hands don't cope too well with the tiny dimensions since +Q and -Q are not brought out to any pads on my stick. Therefore I just soldered away the coupling capacitors going to +I and -I and then used their pads for interfacing my transformer.

The article that spurred my modding interest was in the last swedish magazine QTC, but very similar mods are all around the web.

Hope I did not add confusion.

BR

Paul-Henrik

Quoting Graham <[email protected]>:

Ok Paul,

Its round the Q and Q + not Q , configuration , the latest drivers allow that to be selected , the single feed seems to work fine , but still needs some filtering to prevent images ..

I think, possibly a pass band limited pre-amp would help for MF/LF , the gain drop's past a couple of MHz and the 200 ohms z needs some matching , may be the mini-whip is providing this aspect ?

There are image responses linked to the sample rate , a pre-selector as opposed to a 'tuner' would be 'ok' for HF , I think .

I have another 'now' low band dongle . used to be high band , but after a 7 MHz session , with it connected to a 10 mtr Ae , the vhf front failed .. so that's a candidate for mf/lf conversion , these have two life's !

One of Jim's two active device band limited pre-amps , with 200 ohms o/p z would be ideal , or use the toroid as the o/p coupling device ? that may be the most elegant configuration ?

73-G,