Re: LF: LF Activity - G3XIZ

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF Activity - G3XIZ
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:44:34 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Warren
Back in the beginning when 137 started in the UK and EU many years ago here were about 37 countries active on CW and later QRSS and I worked them all.
The USA was not permitted to operate 137 in those days and I used to QSO with them xband, they would reply to me on 7030 Khz CW. The norm for me was to TX QRSS speed between  3 - 60
depending on propagation at the time.
My normal CW SIGNAL was heard at 579 at best by NC1K, VE1WW and others including a /MM report off the east coast USA. To the east I worked RN6BN several times on normal CW plus others around Moscow.
One other stn heard frequently in the USA/CANADA at that time was MM0ALM.
My TX was home built using 4 FETS in the PA class D about 1W erp output.
The antenna was 3 x inv L in parallel each one was 100 feet vertical and 450 feet horizontal.
I still have the same system today but seldom work 137 anymore since it has gone all digital and virtually no CW anymore also the number of countries has diminished to just a few.
Since the introduction of digital modes on this band some time back most CW operators have left and gone elswhere.
I work 472 Khz at present and have worked the USA in the past on 500 Khz CW plus others around EU.
On this band I use 5W erp and the antenna is a 1/4 wave inv L up at 100 ft vertical and the rest horizontal

I have kept some logs/records of past acty. Another stn that used to be active was VE1JG on both 137 and 500.

I hope this info might be useful to you and others. This is what I remember without delving back through logs and other records.
I have now replaced the hd/brew LF tx with a modified DECCA 5501 plus a spare both seldom used !!!!

732 de MAL/G3KEV