Re: Re: LF: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re: LF: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?
From: Hideho YAMAMURA <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:52:48 +0900 (JST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=nifty.com; s=apr2010web; t=1360921968; bh=qqpgpbgIta8fl3bFp08ti87Mm2U/Q7RhwKOuN/C/Kw4=; h=Message-ID:Date:From:To:Subject:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version: Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:References; b=jyrpioVEXxe+5VSHKVt8UWGxEsECftvwe0fBu6zQOKwsBuSD5FIlwV28+HaNd/b5z NY7lcdzKi6731zaMgFQqBPdKUJgT95wHe5dolNAzX1lnoU2VzXNyWLLJX+pa+FNsha yVkt/Z6T6ow0qBzE665KtyeznR8i6+PL5Mhays68=
Sender: [email protected]
hello Dimitris,

I don't have any experience on 475kHz, but some on 136kHz and HF.

I believe a PVC former is OK, if it's a pipe former, not a solid rod.
I made a dozen of 136kHz loading coils, with 165mm diameter PVC drain pipe and
325mm diameter polypropilene pipe, and got Qs of 300 to 340, at 9mH, 7.5kohm,
with wrapping wire of 0.51mm diameter copper and 0.15mm thin ETFE jacket,
rather thin wire. (copper-diameter/pitch ratio = 0.64)

240V electrical wire (with PVC jacket) sounds OK to me,
depending on the dimentions,
because it gives you spacing between adjacent copper,
to reduce eddy current loss.
copper-diameter/pitch ratio of 0.6 to 0.8 should be a good choice.
below 0.6 gives you too thin copper for the given space,
and above 0.8 no improvement was observed on my experiment,
wich agrees with the famous Medhurst's paper.

Litz wire should be good, (depending on dimentions and strand configuration),
if it has similar outer diameter as your 240V electrical wire.
JH1GVY suceeded to achieve Q=>1000, on 136kHz.

I saw your photo, and noted that you wound your wire with spacing in banks.
I think the spacing is not necessary, because you already have spacing
bewteen adjacent wire made by the PVC jacket, to reduce eddy-current.
Inter-wire capacitance is important between turns far away (end-to-end or
diagonal), not adjacent wires.
Basically, it's dictated primarily by the coil diameter,
secondary the coil length (small effet), and wire diameter spacing does not pl
ay roll.
This is proven also in Medhurst's paper, and my experiments convinced me.
Without bank spacing, you will have more inductuance with same numbers of turn
s,
or you can reduce turns and wire length for same inductance,
witch will give you less resistance ( a little though. 10% or so).

Good luck in your project,
I will be happy to hear your results.

73s, Hideho YAMAMURA, JF1DMQ/AA6VE