Re: LF: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?
From: Dimitrios Tsifakis <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:52:04 +1100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=/QYnChIX/CfD2CZ7Q/M91/TAgADiupC6ZTSsKjdFH/k=; b=nu8QpipDtHoHTw+izbKenq9Ti8jFFc2iO+AhLWEaxtJDXkVL898czmEkcZ7HOt+JPN TrwqYbR8hyZFCpMlgKrAPleZjI26EmzgrpkEvEEWz4+4xx9xk6qtoDlWTzi5iP2/KQZV p0JaedxVOUzVt0/82MutT0iGBQiBLr7euCQP87HSERBt1eahtkImZCgts7GsQKF+7hjj 0AZ41kT0/Vs9N95Idwp1q9YtblCvqG18PWZ5vlN+BU5u95/+IYg4+jtgLNdCbshtLmrH iCJz4uqTqP/olaEG4d39Msc1AQrnr6rAeaDhRnBL6nFI0qw6VVU2HLYhsZ8o1ROYEqxL VWiA==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

A photo of the coil can be seen here:

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~dxt103/500/

The operating position is inside a little metal garden shed. I have a
wooden bench and it sits on that. There is maybe 0.5 m of space or
more between the inductor and the shed walls.

Ground losses are estimated to be a bit less than 20 ohm. This varies
a bit with the WX, currently after a bit of  rain think it is probably
around 17 or 18 ohm. There is clay under the soil, which I think is
good news when it comes to conductivity :-)

Going from 27 ohm to say (Q=1000) about 20 ohm antenna impedance,
would result in a small but very welcome antenna current increase...

73, Dimitris