RE: LF: Re: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Re: how to increase the Q of my loading coil?
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:10:05 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
 Graham,

>I would think the  higher the  Q  the  higher the  losses in
>such a coil , the  bigger the  circulating  values .

I would think this thinking is wrong. :-)
The higher the Q of the coil the lower are of course the losses in such a
coil.
We are dealing here with the *unloaded* Q of a component.
But when we talk of the *loaded* Q of a (R)LC circuit, then your reasoning
is correct.
The higher the *loaded circuit* Q the higher are the losses in all involved
components including the coil due to increasing circulating currents.
Given a certain circuit increasing the Q of its components always will
reduce overall losses of that circuit.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ