Re: LF: Re: Caps for Class-E amp

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Caps for Class-E amp
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 00:42:30 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dimitris, LF,

here is a bunch of 33 nF / 2 kV FKPs working in my indoor LF transmit loop experiment:
With 200 W TX power, the total current is 32 amps rms. It is split up into 5 branches (6.4 amps each) in 5p-2s configuration. A large series C has been inserted into one branch for fine adjustment of resonance.

Attached is a graph from the WIMA datasheet showing the voltage derating with frequency. Even at low frequency the AC voltage rating (750 Vrms) is significantly less than DC (2000 V) to avoid aging due to internal partial discharges. At higher frequency, voltage and current are further derated due to self heating from ESR and dielectric losses. The curves are for 10°C overtemperature in still air, allowing 200 V x 6 amps rms at 136 kHz. Indeed the capacitors became just noticibly warm during long transmissions. I think that with fan cooling or oil immersion, you might be able to use them up to 2 to 3 times higher currents.

Best 73,
MArkus (DF6NM)

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:34 AM

Hi Alan,

thanks for the tip, I will keep an eye open for RIFA PHE428 or PHE450
which seems to be the newer version of that capacitor type.

In my PA, I used two .1 uF caps in series to make .05 uF, then three
of these in parallel to make .15 uF hoping that the currents will be
distributed, however I think, once one of them gave up the ghost, the
others immediatelly followed suit, so I ended up with one in every
two-in-series capacitor being busted.

By the way, that self-healing effect is quite useful if you ever want
to create a bunch of lower value caps with non standard values :-) I
now have a77 nF, 45 nF, 16 nF and even a 0.3 nF out of my .1 caps! I
am kidding of course. :-)

73, Dimitris VK1SV

2012/8/9 Alan Melia <
[email protected]>:
> Hi Demitris, I am not sure of the types codes but I used 1000v or greater
> rating, the problem often is that the caps are not rated for high pulse
> currents. The best kind of caps that are used are rated for pulse operation
> in switch-mode power supply. Normal caps will not take the current
> pulses.....the individual plates get disconnected from the lead wires.
> One of the caps I used has come to hand its a RIFA PHE428 rated 2000v. I
> used this on 36v Class E running about 300W. I believe WIMA make similar
> caps but I am not sure of their type numbers.
>
> Alan
> G3NYK
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dimitrios Tsifakis"
> <