Re: LF: Re: Caps for Class-E amp

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Caps for Class-E amp
From: Dimitrios Tsifakis <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:06:55 +1000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=XaMb1JZ2dzN7Qkl18q4hUBOkZcMD5FOp6BUhxvdq3wU=; b=CN7+Lz80dO1SAD2c0iH8z6T1DdxZCCGx0dK03v2FAfG21ysSWy31A3dicenlsz0MTS Bjh8Ahgf4eZsJ3V7eouh5LsDf6IMlu/7ouq1iArjEvewKLwFT12tEEusQ2ipCxhrPAWn 9ubTt5Q5SKJDMp+ASk4gu1D66/uEpR83eoc1K5eyU2JaEnXq37CoVMKIAKQtrji+/me6 L5ceyKtv30/JSXq5FiYWQdR1mtE8ubUB/DKR3Uzr2rK8Wxmjn5WzXeY2q3QKPaXFVGyT B91JgucbpLJyeDbUk7M2Ro9kQ8JGahfMJOQS7IWPVYenWMBKNH+shIES98Wa1suDUtai aFkA==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan,

I am also using a simulator, the free LTSPICE which seems to work OK,
in fact I use it with wine under linux. With this, it is easy to
predict the voltages that will develop across all components and you
can also experiment with fine-tuning of the components. For example,
in my design at 200 W output I get about 170 V peak to peak across C2.
The waveform is very close to a sine wave, so that's about 60 V RMS.
So I now have a number to use when evaluating caps against their
datasheets. The voltage rating of these polypropylene pulse rated caps
seems to depend on the capacitance for a given VDC max, so the final
result will depend on what sort of caps I can get my hands on. The
current seems to be about 33 A peak to peak (wow!), at 90 degrees
behind the voltage.

Isn't simulation a great thing for those on a budget! :-)

73, Dimitris VK1SV