Re: LF: Caps for Class-E amp

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Caps for Class-E amp
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:57:24 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dimitris,

What i forgot to say: Actually i can not recommend a class E for /p purposes. A class E is a fine thing and it is fascinating to see that one can generate 1 kW with a single FET and > 95% efficiency and without any ferrite transformers. But the efficiency and voltages and currents are highly dependant on the load resistance and eventual reactive components. As long as the SWR is < 1:1.5 or so, it is fine but then it becomes critical. I lost a FET in the field while using a 100m kite vertical antenna. The kite dropped and i wasn't watching for a minute and then BAANG! If you use the class E at home, in a fixed antenna installation with known and stable SWR, then this is fine. But if you are in the field and don't know the feed point impedance, i think a voltage- or current-mode class D using 2 FETs against ground and a ferrite transformer performs better. Here you also have more flexibility because you can use various taps (and so power levels and/or impedance matching) on the secondary winding... For example, my MF class D https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/MF/100W%20475kHz%20PA.png works at 12V as well and is much less critical regarding mismatch...

73, Stefan/DK7FC