LF: Re: Kyoto Dst question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Kyoto Dst question
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:02:13 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1342548141; bh=p/3iS+4aGjkljzrFEevKyj/7EgFHlmaKR7OC31P+bqc=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=ciTrwrntQ6lhEsbmmHcdFJDAbUtWDhG3sMMU6FfQJ+Zd/0OQUKueL0WTAGw9hj5JZqaEZShNKbWqGHJclOBaUMsEyxm89Wui6BpmWdUlfgEXJWo6Gqrm1ASgc0rnABmGew0HE0qtroBckEqozs+Wdo8EYrytHHfMX/ECoeiNiD0=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=CYrhE75zkFA1KZCEdx9U/An2ARckq2Hshz/GNj4lCOC3yrxE6XT+TxZQ+89XfIAiJ/BDjmpUOOVwkef1VKU2s8H2oVvkXIjVd3g9dAK0YIDT22vp7Pd34wptwV0e0jlejofm8+szD9f2o4Hez3MSEPvViNsGOb00SIFDRdEdgm4= ;
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Roelof, yes if I could explain my position on this, it might help.

I noted a relationship between high geomagnetic indexes and night-time DX signal levels on LF. The problem was that when the Kp recovered the path did not. I hypothesised hot electron injection from the CME into the ionosphere. However I could not believe the hot electrons could have such a long lifetime before recombination. This was up to 4 weeks in some cases. The effect is well reported in professional papers by Lauter and Jack Belrose (VE2CV) in the 1960s, but no mechanism was reported that I could find.

Then a member of the VLF group Denis Gallagher who works for NASA, pointed me at a 1992 paper. This covered the population of the equatorial ring current from the CMEs and indicated that the ring current (the Van Allen belt) acted as a reservoir of hot electrons (and ions). These were able to enter the ionosphere at the sunrise edge where the magnetosphere is distorted as it rotated towards the Sun. The depletion of the ring current is a diffusion process, so the Dst index which is a measure of the total charge in the Ring Current recovers slowly, a bit like a capacitor discharge( exponentially).

I have been able to correlate poor conditions with low Dst values. Normally 0 to -20nT in quiet condx, up to -400nT at a severe geomagnetic storm

In general there is little excess night-time absorption when the Dst is above -20nT on the Colorado University (ACE) estimate. The Kyoto figures are not so reliable and give a value 10 to 20nT higher on average. Their figures are estimated from ground level magnetometers corrected for their distance from the equator. The instantaneous values can and are distorted by errors and local aberations. This is a fact that Kyoto appreciate and corrected values are only issued 6 months later....not a lot of use for LF propagation prediction.:-)) The Colorado figures are estimated from measurements of the Solar Wind by the ACE satellite, and have proved more reliable for propagation prediction..

So yes you can get a good idea of DX propagation by monitoring Dst. remember that a signal passes through the ionosphere every 2000km of ground range (approximately) so a long path suffers multiple bouts of attenuation during poor conditions. The effect on inter-EU paths is not so dramatic though it can see 12 to 15dB reductions in signals that are only one hop away.

Sorry for the long "waffle" but I thought it might be worth airing again.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>