Re: LF: Re: Kyoto Dst question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Kyoto Dst question
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:55:13 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1342558529; bh=FmlYK8cWzc+2Z2Gx3eCW00sW3K6XBSbuQKSuusCk+PQ=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=IXcvCuMblWyUaFLAKJPNPwA2O+0ZTFnYvUncPtb8U3hh8Ya6KeZPmCq7Tnc+0Qi2o2gD/Z1YbFP1XmypNb4/fGBGr/tfB8HVOQDGc5WI+1hBXzTao3slI0/2ca8LOZ9l/ExRzxTTsH7BBexkRWjEgKJvVN2P09E4/7sx66Y3DYc=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=026Udxm5MxZlc4se83WroA1x0/G3CoDIwtQqdbNAde+XT6icz2aasoxoZLyzcydMx+5Y6Bcv+pOYViry1avqAJLxVCZlicOjEMhSQMmCn20qyTUiJAt2F0G0Rjus7lzIPnvURJPDX8pIddCn73I2vHdcuTU9jMKZ4tx5fxjz2+Y= ;
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Roelof thanks for your observations. It is great to get information from different frequencies and different paths. I looked at NDBs but could not think of a reliable way of automatically monitoring signals. I was worried about the shared frequency problem.....knowing what I was listening to. I started monitoring CFH on 137khz when it was on continuously. when it went off. I transfered to trying SXV but could not make sense of it. Brian Rogerson CT1DRP took up the challenge and collected signal from DCF39 24/7 for about 4 years.

What might be interesting if you could classify the path length of different paths (It depends whether you can find sufficient at the right range) It would be interesting to try and correlate the excess path loss against "hop number". I feel that if 1 hop has 6dB excess attenuation, a 3 hop path (5000 to 6000 km) should show around 18dB

An interesting aside I spotted might be of interest to you. It regards daytime skywave so a path of about 1200 to 1400km. I found that the "precipitated" hot electrons from a big event were sufficient to give a kind of prolonged "flare effect". The increased signal during a flare event is due to he increased D-region ionisation. Similarly the increased ionisation due to precipitation can enhance the daytime skywave signals. The reports I have seen suggest the signals are most clearly enhanced around mid day at mid path. The effect is often only present for about one or at most two days after an event.

Great stuff this LF :-))
Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>