Re: LF: OPERA Question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: OPERA Question
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:38:16 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Graham, Mike,

given the ratio of occupied signal bandwidth (a few Hz) to filter bandwidth in question (a few 100 Hz), I don't believe there will be any significant impact of analog filters on signal shape. Neither on background noise, directly.

However in the presence of impulsive noise, eg lightning statics, the effectiveness of a noiseblanker will be severely degraded if the duration of the pulses is prolonged by narrow filters with long ringdown. The sharper the better - especially at VLF where spherics are dominated by the short cracks from return strokes. However strong carriers should be excluded from the passband before noiseblanker action, as otherwise they will be contaminated by sidebands from the cutouts.

Best 73,
MArkus (DF6NM)