Re: LF: OPERA Question

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: OPERA Question
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 00:43:10 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Each to  his  own Pete,

Really  its  only  slowly that  the  amount of  work and  technical  input that's  needed  to  produce  one of these numeric  based  data  modes is  becoming  apparent , odd  as you  say some of the  fire fights  over  mode V mode , cpu loading  etc

A simple  question  over  filter  bandwidth reveals   yet  another  layer of  maths  and  intrigue, based round  the  definition  of  the  word 'filter'  weather  you are  referring to a  analogue  device  or a  computational  routine  that's  deployed  to  provide a  best  fit  of the  recovered  'pulse' ... reminds  me  of  a episode of the  Avengers  , every time  you open a  door  the  room  has changed  , in this  case the  words  have  different  meanings . . . same thing  with the  spread spectrum knees  up ,  spreading  routines  applied  to  data  , nothing  to  do  with  radio  bandwidth ..

In simplicity , the  answer from Jose  was  'Do  nothing  to the  signal , leave  all  filtering  to the software'    selecting  a  narrow  filter  adds   phase shift , time delay  and  additional  noise ....... so  direct  conversion  SDR  is the  optimum  Rx  system !

The  main  thing  is  'we'  have  some  pretty robust  data  modes to  play  with  on here  , activity is  increasing  by the  day  and  its  only   July  !

73 - G ..