LF: Re: Pretests for the 630m band dipole

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Pretests for the 630m band dipole
From: "Mike Underhill" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:37:53 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1343155171; bh=JtWpoNa3S39uTQ02k8Q+gPwQxf1m8wXG88h4LnWtxHw=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=D9bVheWnU5IAGCFXg654qHvfVbV0jbQywMxf5fGcLG7gG7gwB4W/ESacF7M0/QPJ0zPYQdmf63HHS8v/exUAM8e2ffnhZ/PpeTidAjL1ZnjQc6PnYUf3o+9HAamNMJd9L8ZtRBDJBrR9H6sfbGxaC80wiW/yerQGE6JEWy7k4rg=
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan

As a long time 'lurker' on this LF group I am particularly interested in what orientation you plan for your low height 630m band dipole antenna and what azimuthal radiation pattern you find. A few years ago I did some work (on a contract) on low height, on-the-ground and underground antennas in the 1 to 10MHz region. The underground antenna was an end fed wire about 45m long in a 10cm 'land drain' in damp clay soil at a depth of about 45cm. (The wire was put in the drain using five sets of 10 drain rods.) These antennas radiated quite successfully with received and transmitted signals generally about 10 to 30dB down on a reference horizontal 83m loop at 15m height. Some of the tests were performed and winessed on a regular Sunday morning net on 3722kHz.

Ocasionally broadcast signals in the 31m and 25m bands were found to be be stronger on the underground antenna than on the reference antenna. So local field strength measurements were then made just above ground on the under-ground and on-ground (dipole) antennas. A 35cm tuned loop antenna on an AOR hand-held scanning receiver was use as the field sensor. This could sense the field polarisation as well as the field strength. The conclusions were that such antennas "radiate and receive best from the ends with vertical polarisation". This was confirmed earler this year at the IET Ionnospheric Radio conference in York in a conversation with the conference chairman Les Barclay, G3HTF. He had found similar results some years earlier.

The interesting question is why this might be so. The following is now offered as a possible explanation:

Electric field lines above the antenna extend to a height that is a substantial fraction of (the square root of) a wavelength and terminating on the two ends of the antenna. This electric field creates displacement currents as half loops above the antenna from one end of the antenna to the other. The half loops of displacement current radiate with vertical polarisation with maxima in the direction of the ends of the dipole antenna. As the antenna height is raised the E-field lines and displacement currents become established below the antenna and above the ground. The currents are in the same direction as the currents above the antenna and so they start to cancel the loop radiation from the upper half loop(s) as the antenna is raised. At some critical height the conventional dipole mode takes over and the loop mode becomes suppressed. The critical height has been found to proportional to the square root of wavelength in accordance with the properties discovered for 'electromagnetic coupling'. (Measurements have been made for antennas at different heights and form the minimum horn size variation with frequency for the Goubau single wire transmission line.)
From measurements at higher HF frequencies I estimate the critical
change-over height to be about 10 to 15 meters at 470kHz or 500kHz. At 136kHz these figures are increased by the square root of the freqency ratio, which is about 1.9. Real height of the antenna is important!

Whether this hypothesis or suggested theory is correct depends on real and not simulated measurements. So you can guess the reason for my interest.

Looking forward to your results with interest, so I can go back to lurking either with a warm glow of satisfaction or with a red face of embarrassment and disappointment.

Mike - G3LHZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>