LF: Pretests for the 630m band dipole

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Pretests for the 630m band dipole
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:04:19 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

MF,

This week i intend to start my tests with a full size dipole for the 630m band. All the equipment for this /p is available now.

Since the dipole is VERY close to ground (relative to Lambda) there will be a capacitive component and the Z=R at resonance will be lower than 36 Ohm of course. I have just done some simulations in EZNEC and found that it is useful to feed the dipole assymetrical, i.e. not in the center. The simulation tells that a wire length of 315m will be necessary. The resonance frequency does not change by different feed points. I hope this applies in practice as well :-) The electrical parameters will depend on the soil conductivity and epsilon r, which i don't know exactly of course. But if the settings in the simulation are reasonable, then there will be a real component of Z=R (=resonance)of 46 Ohm. So i would not even need a transformer to match the antenna to the PA.

85% means that one wire is "just" 47m. So if someone lives close to a forest, there would be a chance to build such a TX antenna and run the major part of the antenna outside the garden. Just a short rest has to be inside the own property. For a 90% feed, R would be 96 Ohm. This could be matched to 50 Ohm very easily and the shorter part of the antenna would only be 31.5m...

I have a bundle of old telephone wire (once found a 1800*0.4mm x 10m length cable) and so i can connect several pieces in series for the test. So i can make a table of measurements. The modified MFJ-259B antenna analyzer will help, hopefully.
Looking forward to that test.

Due to the permanent number of OP4 listening stations, this mode may actually help to get an impression about the efficiency and directivity.

73, Stefan/DK7FC