Re: LF: DUAL BEACON WSPR + OPERA 500Khz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: DUAL BEACON WSPR + OPERA 500Khz
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:07:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
''Its not if you  win the  race , its how you  play the  game''

Taking that   psk/fsk  can  achieve   6 dB  efficiency over  on/off  keying  , to  decode at  a similar  level  in a  similar  time  is quite an achievement !

As Albert  points  out,  qsb  caused  the  most  disruption, I think wspr  is  also  overlaying  to  build up a  data  frame , which may  be  taking  advantage of the qsb  signature

Access  to the  mode is the  important  thing.  any  (stable)  station can  send  Opera , which  makes it the  first  'new'  all  user  data  mode  since  the  year  'dot'

One thing  that is  missing , is  some  kind of  data server , everything  is  sent to  the  psk-reporter  system , but  it  a  little  limited in  searching and displaying
but  as yet, not  able to  find  anyone/group  to  try  coding  one

73-Graham.

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Hi Graham,

Likewise I still prefer WSPR.

Decodes occur at similar levels to OP2 and the interface and web database features make it the more attractive mode, for me. I'll continue to play with both though and make a more informed view later. The OOK feature of OPERA I can see is attractive for many.

Hope to be QRP testing again this evening, probably TXing on WSPR and monitoring both WSPR and OPERA on 500kHz USB dial. I would like to find out if GM4SLV can decode me on either mode using my current set-up. Will you be around John P-G?

73s
Roger G3XBM